Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fire in Herriman


At 3:30 pm today a fire broke out at Camp Williams shooting range which is southwest of us just over the Oquirrh Mountains. Over 1200 homes have been evacuated in Herriman. We can see the fire from our home. I first noticed the plume of smoke when we came out of church. At first all that we could see was the smoke coming from the other side of the mountain. Then about 7:45 it came up over the ridge and is now threatening more homes at the base of the mountain.

We found out from our neighbors that the family that used to live
in our home, the Shipley's, built a home in Herriman and have had to evacuate. A friend of our neighbors was evacuated and their home had burned.

Times like this make me think about what I would do if we needed to evacuate. I really need to give it some serious thought.

No comments: